How can I add product categories?
You can manage the product categories in your shop by accessing the Product catalog / Categories management menu.
In order to add a new category (or subcategory), you have to go to the Add new category page, and make the following settings:
If you have added custom fields to be used in relation to the categories, these will also be displayed in this page and you will be able to populate them with the desired content.
- Category name;
- Category type - root category (top level category) or subcategory;
- Position - the position on which the category will be displayed in the category listing on the site (applicable only if your are using the Custom ordering option, available in the Catalog settings page);
- Display mode (this applies only to categories that contain subcategories) - based on this setting, when a user visits a product category on the site, the category page will either display only the products in that category, or only the subcategories subordinated to the root category, if applicable;
- Meta description - this description plays a role your site's SEO and is displayed in the search engine results pages;
- Visibility - controls the visibility status, which can be Active - visible on the site, or Inactive - not visible on the site (using the Inactive status will deactivate all the subcategories subordinated to this category and all the products included in the category or subcategories).
Listed in: Categories settings